Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Baby Bree Update


I have had quite a few of you ask about how Baby Bree is doing. (And for those of you who don't know about Baby Bree and want to, you can click here to read). This is from my friend Kari's post that she left just a couple of days ago:

Today we got the news that Bree’s cancer continues to be in her bone marrow. 75% of the cancer (in the bone marrow) was “killed” by the chemo but there still is a fight to be fought. There is 25% left to get rid of. Needless to say, I was disappointed because I really thought it would be cleared out of her bone marrow, that the docs would have said that she was clean of the cancer and that we could proceed with discussing surgery to remove her tumor and be rid of this whole process… but that’s not the case. It’s a little discouraging because after the doctors saw how much the tumor in her abdomen shrunk he was very optimistic it would be gone in her bone marrow. She will have to go through 4 more rounds of chemotherapy to kill off the rest of the cancer in her bone marrow, which will also continue to shrink the tumor in her abdomen. Since she will need more chemo anyway removing the rest of the tumor by surgery won’t be necessary at this time. In the beginning they expected to do 8 rounds and possible radiation treatments. But, when we discovered the news that her tumor had shrunk more than what was expected we really believed her bone marrow could be clean of this cancer. We wished we could be on our way to recovery ahead of schedule…instead we are just on track and will continue her protocol as expected. We are happy that she is on the road to recovery at any rate. :)

I hope I don’t seem ungrateful for all that we’ve been blessed with thus far. It is a HUGE blessing that her tumor has shrunk so much and so much of the cancer has died, I do just feel disappointed and a little heart broken that my baby will have to go through 3 more months of chemotherapy. 3 more months of hospital stays, antibiotics, blood tests, weekly doctor visits, blood transfusions, etc. I feel like the last 3 months have dragged on and they feel so long…like the time passed by so slowly. I want to have the strength to endure the next 3 months. I NEED to have the strength to endure it. I NEED to be strong for her.

Anyhow, that’s the update today. We are hoping to start her 5th round of chemo on Friday. It should be another 3-day treatment, s
o we get to watch the Super Bowl in the hospital☺. We’ve enjoyed our time at home being together as a family. Bree’s so happy at home. I’ve enjoyed doing the mundane Mommy chores and now its time to face the music and endure the next chapter of this journey. I want to say thanks for all the comments left here. It makes our family feel so loved, the many sweet things that are said buoy me up and help keep me going….however, I’m not as great as you all think I am… ha ha.

Here we are before her tests last Thursday. Bree loves to pose for the camera!
After her procedures and still smiling!

It is so sad for me to read this because Kari is truly one of the most optimistic people that I know. This is the first time that I have ever heard her feel sad or disappointed. And yet, she still tries to be happy about things.

For those who are wanting to send donations again (a few of you have contacted me about this), then please feel free to make a donation for her family using my donation link on the side of my blog. Also, if you do make a donation for them, please send me an email saying it is for them, so that I don't think the donation is for me. Thank you for your interest.

18 comments:

Mandy said...

Thank you for the update :o) My family continues to pray for this sweet little baby.

Danielle said...

you are in my prayers Just remember that Heavenly Father is with you helping you get through this and though it is very hard on you He loves you and blesses you every day

*amber * cody * chandler* said...

Please send Kari and Bree love and support from our family! Even though I don't know this sweet little girl I have a son her age and feel so much love and sympathy for her and what her parents must be going through- she and her family are in our prayers! Thanks for all you do too Summer!

kelly said...

Thanks for the update and reminder, I will add them to my prayers again.

Marci said...

thanks for the update. I will continue to keep them in my prayers

HanginWithJill said...

Thanks for the update Summer. It is so hard for me to see that beautiful little girl in those pictures go through such a challenging experience. I will keep her and her fam in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing their story and reminding us all to be greatful for what we have and are going through.

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

Summer, my motherly heart is broken to hear the disappointment in Kari's writing, however, she is being honest with us because she is firstly honest with herself. The "dragging" on is SO understandable and it is normal for weariness to set in.

Even those with the GREATEST of faith experience disappointment; that is the humanness in all of us.

I thank you for taking your time to print Kari's words, giving us the opportunity to know this family on a deeper level. I feel Kari's heart as I have often wondered how I would respond in a similar situation and I can honestly say, one shall never know until such a time presents itself.

My heart, my thoughts and my prayers continue for Kari, Bree and her entire family as they continue to fight Bree's battle with cancer.

I hope that Kari can read the words we post and know that, YES, Kari, you are still a WONDER WOMAN in my eyes sweetheart. My heart cries out for you as I can ONLY imagine the quiet suffering experienced as you watch your PRECIOUS baby fighting for her life.

May you be given that extra "umph" of strength as you begin round five and I shall be standing along side of you in prayer that this round of chemo be the one to produce a victory over the cancer in Bree's bone marrow.

Much love,
Linda and family *hearts*

Van said...

Thank you so much for Baby Bree's update and will continue to hope and pray for her continued recovery!

Julie H. said...

Thanks for the update. What an inspiration. Bree's struggle and the strength that her mother is showing helps me to remember what being a mother is all about. Thanks for the reminder. My prayers are with you.

Gunilla said...

Such a tragedi!
And what a fighter she is, little baby Bree!

All my love and prayer's for her and her family...

Alicia W. said...

Thank you so much for the update...we'll continue to keep little Bree in our prayers.

Christina said...

I have spent the past hour reading this blog. Not necessarily downloading your kits (I will later), but looking at them. I've been so touched by the thought that's gone into your kits. I'm going to kiss all my children on my way to bed tonight... overwhelmed with gratitude for the blessings in my life. Thanks for your inspiration. I have felt your spirit and I couldn't leave without letting you know that. Oh-and you do beautiful work!!

Tami said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that Bree has made some improvements but sad to hear that she's not fully recovered and healed all the way. My thoughts are with the family at this hard time.

Sara said...

My first time to your blog...saying a prayer for Bree today!!

Hi! said...

I can only imagine the dissapointment Bree's whole family is feeling. I am always amazed that she is smiling in every picture, she never seems to break under the hardship. I got the bunny with the jean patches done and sent. I hope it made it there and that Bree finds as much joy playing with it that I did making it.

Our prayers are always with Bree and her family.

Thank you for the updates and the beautiful kits. I have never felt so motivated to get my scrapbooking done!

Love the Jones People

Pat said...

Thank you for the update on Baby Bree! I have been thinking of her and your own sweet baby girl! I am praying for them both!

Elisabeth Erickson said...

I just wanted to tell you my little brother was diagnosed with liver cancer at 3 monthes old but now he is 12 years old and the biggest pain in the butt.He is truelly a miracle and so will your baby.I hope that his story gives you hope.I will keep your beautiful baby in my prayers!
God Bless

pearita said...

Thank you for this!! I will always pray for sweet baby bree.