Monday, July 8, 2013

Lovin' Me Some Liberty kit

Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a fantastic summer. Ours has felt pretty sporadic this year. Here are some things that we've been up to at the Driggs household. First is a picture of my favorite people in the world...my husband and kids. Sorry for the grainy picture taken with my phone. This was for Father's Day:

Then I left to go to Utah to help my sister who had a new baby by c-section. I loved spending time with my nephews and nieces. It was really good to visit with my sister too for an entire week. And I must say, it was really fun to take care of a newborn when "I" wasn't the one recovering!

After I got home from Utah it was time for my daughter Caitlynn (age 12) to go to Girls' Camp for our church. Since I am one of the leaders over the Young Women, I got to go with her. Even though I was busy doing my own stuff, and she was busy doing her own stuff, I loved the little moments when I got to see her or say goodnight to her before she went to sleep in her tent. I look forward to doing it again next year! (The pictures below are 1) Caitlynn and I the morning we left, 2) me and the other leaders doing a welcome dance, 3) Caitlynn rocking it at archery!)



























After Girls' Camp my daughter Claire (age 5) had some tests done for her Tuberous Sclerosis disease. She's been outgrowing her seizure medication and we noticed that instead of just the right side of her face being affected during her seizures, that her left side has been affected as well. So we needed to do an MRI and an EEG to see if any new tumors have formed. The results of the MRI show that nothing has changed as far as new tumors are concerned, so that's good. But, the EEG did record some seizure spikes that were stemming from the right side of her brain which is new. So we just started her on a new medication to see if we can get them back under control. She is the sweetest girl and is so excited to be starting kindergarten this fall. This is a picture of Claire and I the night before her EEG. She had to be sleep-deprived for the test because they needed her to sleep during it, so she got to stay up until midnight which she thought was way fun! (She did not think it was fun when I had to wake her at 4:00 the following morning though). She truly is a joy!



















The week after that I got to go watch my middle kids perform in their Musical Theatre Workshop that they had been doing for 2 weeks. Annika (age 10) and Brock (age 7) got to stay with my in-laws for 2 weeks to do this workshop. (The first week they were there is when Caitlynn and I were at camp, and the 2nd week is when we were doing Claire's testing). Anyways, Annika and Brock had an absolute blast and did such a great job. It was fun hearing them perform and watching them on stage.

























The very next day all 4 of my kids continued to stay with Grandpa and Grandma, and I was able to fly to San Francisco to be with my husband. He had already been gone for a week for work, and so I got to join him when he was done. I had never been there before and I loved to see all the buildings and houses. I loved walking around Fisherman's Wharf and driving across the Golden Gate Bridge. Most importantly, I loved spending time with my husband. He travels a ton and when he's in town, he is still a busy guy. So I loved to just tour the city with him and enjoy his company.


















And finally we got to come home in time for 4th of July. This has probably been my favorite day of the entire summer because our whole family got to be together. I once read that "Time spent with family is time well spent." We got to go to a breakfast at our church, followed by taking the kids to see Despicable Me 2, then swimming and grilled hamburgers, and we ended the night with climbing up on our roof to watch 5 different firework displays all around in various parts of the city. 















And that's where we are today! I had tried to finish this kit in time for the 4th, but it just got too busy so I am a little delayed. But I hope that you all enjoyed your Independence Day and if you haven't yet, to stop and think about all of the blessings that we have because of our freedom. Enjoy this kit called "Lovin' Me Some Liberty"!


 Click the links below to download the FREE "Lovin' Me Some Liberty" kit:

P.S. For those who voted for me back when I entered my sunrise picture in the photo contest, thank you! I won for my category and it's all thanks to you!!!

P.S.S. My younger brother Jonathan is publishing his first book and I couldn't be prouder of him! Jonathan is a licensed marriage and family therapist. On the side he has a weekly entertainment column with Meridian Magazine and writes reviews of current Hollywood films. His first book "250 Great Movies for Latter-day Families" is available for pre-order right now at Amazon and will be published the beginning of September. 

I have ordered mine am so excited to get it. Being a mother of young children, I am pretty strict on what movies I allow them (and myself) to watch. I choose to not watch R-rated films. My favorite movies are the ones where I end up feeling emotionally moved....movies that help me appreciate my family and my life and my beliefs. Movies that help me want to be a better person. 

Jono writes at the beginning of his book:

"A frequent complaint I hear is that “good” movies are often not good movies. This is to say that cinema that promotes faith, marriage, family, honesty, and other vir- tues is often poorly acted, painfully written, and shoddily directed. The word “cheesy” is often mentioned. Those who crave compelling stories, well-rounded characters, creative film-making, and believable acting often look to movies whose values do not correspond with their own.

When it comes to cinema, we ought to seek out and support those efforts that excel both in moral and artistic quality. These are the films that have power to bring souls to the Savior, and here’s why: their inten- tions combine with emotional authenticity, which allows audiences to see the real-world applications of eternal truths. Solid writing, direct- ing, and acting enables audiences to relate to the person onscreen; the effect of true principles on such a character resonate far more with viewers than do the effects of the same principles on a one-dimensional caricature who doesn’t talk, think, feel, or act like a real person.

Furthermore, beautiful cinematography, inspiring music, and thoughtful editing all combine to create an experience that stirs the soul. This is not audience manipulation, but rather the efforts of art- ists whose respect for the material inspires them to give their very best."


Jonathan takes 250 movies that he feels have both the "moral and artistic quality" as he states above. With each movie he gives a small summary. Then he gives it a grade (A+, A-, A, B+, etc.). Next he shares the Content Overview and shares if there is anything offensive. And finally, he shares the messages to discuss with your kids in a spiritual way. For example, with Over the Hedge the messages to discuss are: All secrets come to light sooner or later (Luke 8:17). If we steal we should return what we've taken and apologize (Ezekial 33:15-16). Families should forgive one another (Genesis 33:3-4).

My little bro has given me a digital copy to review and I really think this is a great resource for families. So yes, I am trying to help him promote his book, but at the same time, I am personally looking forward to using this with my own family. We love to sit and discuss movies and what we learned from the characters and their actions, so I know that our family will personally put it to good use. Go take a look!


34 comments:

Marisa Lerin said...

Wonderful kit! Thanks for sharing.

craftyjay said...

I just love your designs! Thank you so much for this fabulous freebie! :-)

cheapest runescape gold said...

Read the article up a lot of knowledge , There are many posts have not seen the knowledge and pictures ,Will always pay attention to your posts . Thanks for sharing.
cheap rs gold
Billig WOW Gold Kaufen
cheap blade and soul gold

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for such a generous patriotic kit!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!

Alison said...

Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your beautiful kits. I'm in the UK but these are great colours for my son. Blessings to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Kit is nice, thank you but was wondering why you only share when you want us to do something for you = vote for photos, give money to friends, buy a book, and such?

Summer said...

Thanks everyone! And to anonymous above, I admit any time I have asked for anything I feel guilty. I never want anyone to feel that they HAVE to do anything for me. I freely give of my time and talents to offer these kits for free and I feel happy to do that. For the most part, I feel that my followers have felt grateful for that.

As far as my most recent post, my brother wrote a book and he asked me personally if I would be willing to post it on my blog because he knew I would have a lot of women followers. I told him that I only felt comfortable doing that, if I offered a kit to my followers. So, he had to wait until I finished my kit.

I also realize I have taken advantage of asking people to vote for my photos...but I was never expecting all of my followers to do that...just those who wanted to do that for me...afterall, I have created over 50 kits for free and for the most part, I have not asked for people to do something in return for me. You are right, lately I have asked for small favors "for those who would be willing."

I apologize to anyone out there who this has offended. There have been so many times that I have wanted to shut the blog down entirely because I feel people can't just be grateful for what I offer. People always want more. I receive multiple emails of requests from people for me to make specific kits, and that is not how I do it. This is my creative outlet. If I suddenly have a desire to design something, then I'm going to do it. If I see certain colors I that inspire me, then I'm going to go with it.

Also, some people have emailed me asking when I am going to do another kit. I know I have slowed down in creating. My priorities in life are to my family first...always. Now that they are getting older life gets busier. I can't possibly say to them "Oh, I can't come help you with that right now because I have to design a new kit."

Alrighty, I'll stop there. But just know that I really have felt guilty when I ask people to vote for things or go buy a book, etc. I will try harder to not take advantage of you.

Alison said...

Oh Summer, I'm so sorry that there are people out there in blogland that think they have the right to comment negatively when you give your kits so generously. Please know that you and your beautifully made kits are appreciated. I wish people would remember that there is a human being with feelings and a family behind every blog.

Paula Gale said...

WOW - I am both shocked and saddened that someone has made you feel that you have to justify yourself on your own blog when you sometimes make requests, appeals and such - especially as you have a)never made anyone feel obligated in any way to do so, and b) your requests have always been for someone else - in some cases for people you don't even personally know and have never met.

I have never visited your blog and felt obliged to give to an appeal or vote for someone or something. If I have, it's obviously been my choice - you've not had my arm up my back making me do so.

You are a very special person who has absolutely nothing to feel guilty or sorry about and certainly doesn't need to change a thing about this blog to suit others - it's YOUR BLOG...

'Anonymous' should have kept those mean spirited opinions to her/himself, because now you have started to question yourself and feel guilty and almost apologetic when you have no need to be any of these things. They chose to come and stay each time they've come for one of the kits you share so generously.

Personally; I'll keep on coming here whether you post new kits or not. I've loved learning about you and your family, about what makes you tick and what drives you on. I find you such a warm hearted, giving and selfless soul. Please don't let the comments of one make you question either yourself or how you use your blog. This is your platform and you have used it wisely, generously and extremely selflessly - in more ways than just sharing your fabulous kits.

Please keep on posting about your lovely family and everything you get up to - this is the main reason I come here - I've loved getting to know all about you these last couple or more years...

I'll vote and donate where I can - just like many people who visit and don't think twice about it.

If I could make one small request - which is in no way urgent or requires immediate attention, I'd love it if there was a gallery where we can post pictures of projects made solely using your kits/printables.

Finally, I hope this latest concern with Claire is soon settled and the doctors are soon managing the situation and keeping it well under control - great news about no more tumours though... what a relief that must have been to you all...

Many hugs and all the very best to all of you,

Paula x x x

Nancy said...

Wonderful kit!! Thank you for your generosity.

Laura said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talents. Love this kit!

Natalie said...

What a fun kit, thank you!! I can't wait to use it! We went to Despicable Me on the 4th as well. And I think girls camp as a leader is maybe even more fun than as a girl. :)

wowgame said...

beautiful cinematography, inspiring music, and thoughtful editing all combine to create an experience that stirs the soul. This is not audience manipulation, Cheap League of Legends Account

Buy LOL Coaching

tiantang said...

Wonderful kit! Thanks for sharing.天堂私服
天堂1
私服天堂
天堂3.70

Dawn said...

Thank you - I love all your kits!!

Jhon Lockar said...

Hey admin, good morning. Totally Great blog post. You have gained a completely new reader. Pls continue this awesome work and I look forward to more of your gorgeous blog posts. Thank you very much, .
Cccam Server | Best Cccam Server | Cardsharing Server

neveverde said...

nice pics!!

Chris said...

Hi Summer, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Anonymous said...

Thank you Summer, I love your kits! also thought the Christmas card was fabulous!!!

Katie

Agen Bola said...

luar biasa

Pelangsing Badan Alami said...

nice topic

Andreas Wiranata Liman said...

thanks infonya pak

Agen Bola Terpercaya said...

amajing

Agen Bola Terpercaya said...

nice topic

Agen Bola Online said...

nice info sir

Agen Bola Online said...

Thank you so much for such a generous patriotic kit!

Livescore said...

Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your beautiful kits. I'm in the UK but these are great colours for my son. Blessings to you and your family.

Agen Bola said...

I just love your designs! Thank you so much for this fabulous freebie! :-)

Agen Bola said...

Thank you so much for such a generous patriotic kit!

Agen Bola Online said...

you give me inspiration to forgive my brother

Agen Bola said...

gud ecperience

Harga Wisata Bromo said...

Thank you so much for such a generous patriotic kit!

hasil sepak bola dunia said...

Read the article up a lot of knowledge , There are many posts have not seen the knowledge and pictures ,Will always pay attention to your posts . Thanks for sharing.